Tuesday, July 28, 2009

BikeTour 2009

From Greenway Sojourn

Every summer I set aside two weeks for a bike tour. In the past I have gone away with either wifer or #3 son Brandon. Neither could make it this year so I went out on a limb and signed up for a supported tour with Rail to Trails Conservancy. They do a really good job taking care of the riders. A SAG truck, daily lunches provided on the trail and evening cookouts.

There were some adventures with the heavy rains and some really neat rattlesnake and eagle sighting. I missed out on lots of good photos because of the rain, but still managed to get a few good ones.

The whole story is Here

Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Quick Dozen

While trying to eat an ice cream cone in the heat and humidity, I got a call offering a spot on a bike ride. This after wifey took me on the 2 mile each way "death march" at Horseneck Beach in Westport, Ma. Naturally I accepted and regretted it as soon as I agreed. It all worked out, albeit the ride was kind of slow.

We cruised around the oceanfront town of Mattapoisett, Ma. for a twelve mile spin.

Healthy Day

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Final Preparation

This past week offered some really good riding weather. Unfortunately, this rider came down with a nasty cold that kept me off the bike for a week. I never felt that bad but the illness took away all my energy. It was a chore to walk a mile never mind riding.

I finally got back on the bike today and have two pair of shoes in the car. Naturally when I got ready I put on one of each. One black leather and the other a brown sneaker type.

I was running late and pushed to make up the time. Wouldn't you know I got held up by a freight train. That put me back on the original ten minute behind schedule. There was still enough time to clean up, don my work clothes and be on time for the change of shift hand off.

After work I did take a detour through the old Paul Dever school. A few new photos was the result.

Number three son is still up in the air about joining me on the tour next week. He got some cortisone injections for his bad shoulder which provided a good dose of pain relief and allowed a huge gain in mobility.

Healthy Day

Monday, July 13, 2009

Annual Tour

Every year I set aside time to do a bike tour. This year's event is in Pennsylvania.
Rails to Trails Conservancy is sponsoring a four day ride through the Grand Canyon of PA.

It's a partially supported trip, meaning they will provide a truck to transport our stuff and make arrangements for us to camp in a couple of school and public camp sites. They will provide us with a two meals each day and I heard through unreliable sources, hootenannys in the evenings. Yeeehaw. Out of necessity I ordered a stanless steel wine glass from REI to get me through in case it's country music.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Rain and Other Roadblocks

June has been a horrendous month for bike commuting. With a four day tour only two weeks away it is imperative to get some miles. The radio weather man said that June had 24 days of rain.

The weekend would have been good commuting for work, but the music festival journaled in previous posts, took preference.

When all is said and done, I will have worked thirty three consecutive days, which could have been a phenomenal amount of miles. But alas, the rain.

The ride takes me through an abandoned State School. Paul Dever, which as I understand was for severely retarded children and adults. The building are sill around as is some of the equipment. Much of the stuff looks like something you would see in a horror movie. I know there was no ill intended, but back then it was what they though was best for the patients.

The buildings on the boundaries are still used as residence homes and I figure that they have problems with kids on dirt biks. There are so many attempts to block the old paths. Besides the two I have pictured, there is also a good sized pine tree that was cut down to block the path. None of the blocks are much of a bother to bicycle or walkers. It just slows us down for a couple of seconds.

I got caught in a good downpour during the homeward bound commute this Tuesday evening. The original prediction was 40% chance of boomers and rain. Good enough odds for me. By noon, it had changed to 60% and by 4PM when we were in the middle of a thorough soaking, they changed it again to 80%. However, like most of us regular commuters can attest, summer rains are not bad at all.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Food and Music and Food

The cooks above working the seafood tent at New Bedford Ma. "Summerfest". New Bedford being the #1 Fishing port in the world raised good seafood cooks.
Really good fresh fish and chips.

Marial Muldaur band doing thier sound check.

I got a chance to talk with one of the performers for a bit. Peter Mulvey who often rides his bike to tour venues in and around Wisconsin and Michigan. He is one of the artists that I liked enought to purchase a cd or two.

After work on July 4th Sue and I rode the Mini back to the National Park for Saturday's entertainment. We stopped for a bottle of wine and some good Tapas at Cork's Wine Bar

After we filled out tank, or is it got tanked? Whatever.....we walked over to the festival to catch Jonathan Edwards' show.

How much does it cost
I'll buy it.
The time is all we lost
I'll try it
And he can't even run his own life
I'll be damned if he'll run mine.

Tonight is the finale where all the acts gather for a really crazy jam session. Celtic, folk, jazz and blues musicians all together at the same time. For me, it's the highlight of the weekend.

Healthy Day

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Could Happen

The market is only a mile away on the bike path. This could come in very handy.

Madsen Cycles Cargo Bikes

Friday, July 3, 2009

Summerfest 2009

Annual New Bedford Summerfest  has snuck up on us.  


July 3rd, Friday night, Greater New Bedford Summerfest kicks off with a concert sponsored by Barefoot Events on the Custom House stage beginning at 6:30 p.m featuring Maria Muldaur with The Red Hot Bluesiana Band.

On Saturday, July 4 and Sunday, July 5, between 11:00 AM and 9:00 PM the Greater New Bedford Summerfest expands to six stages in the National Park that range from the twelve hundred seat "Custom House Stage" to the intimacy of a fifty five seat "Meet the Performer" area. An array of well-known and emerging artists will be featured on these stages all weekend

See the list of perfomers HERE