Sunday, December 10, 2006

Sunday Ride to Dartmouth

Temperatures were in the mid to high 40's. I recently put a new set of SPD pedals on the sport bike and also a new B17 Brooks Saddle. I had tried the B67 and hated it. Actually I had nothing good to say about Brooks. But there are so many riders, especially tour riders who speak so highly of Brooks saddles that I decided to research a little more.

The one thing I noticed on the touring pages in places like crazy guy on a bike web pages, was that almost everyone had a B17 model. Since Wallingford Bike offered free exchanges or returns, with no crazy rules, I decided to give the B17 a try. Riding on a B17 is unnoticeable. That, I think is a great thing to say about the product. I did have to make a couple of small adjustments for fit, but that's about it. The B67, on the other hand, was very painful to ride.

I didn't take out the camera till I got to an ex neighbors home, way out in the country. He was not around but the dogs sure were. They were relentless in their greeting and I had to us my bike as defense to keep them at bay. Jumping, licking, pawing, the whole nine yards. They are very friendly, which says a lot about their owners. Dogs are trained to be however they act usually. Glenn and Debbie are good parents. (for dogs, anyhow).

There were a couple of sights that got my attention. A little farm on the bay and the emptiness of Padanaram harbor in the winter. The harbor is usually filled with very expensive sail boats and mid sized yachts.

Riding through the city, (New Bedford), and the old Irish neighborhood of the textile past. St. James Church was one of the two large Irish parishes. This one was the blue collar parish and St. Lawrence was for the elite. The factory owners and politicians of the city.

In grammar school, I took the city bus to school. I was three miles or so away from St. Mary's, which was the elementary school of St. James parish. The bus did not take the direct route to downtown and instead weaved it's way in order to pass the major factory, school and theaters.

After two hours of riding, it was time for a quick bite. I brought along a sandwich and grabbed a
coffee to warm up a bit. Lunch at the marina, in 45 degree weather. Not as bad as it may sound.

Finally, just before the last turn, I ran into the neighborhood kids playing some American style football. They were having a good time, but when I stopped to watch a couple began trying too hard to impress. The game turned from fun to frustration for them. I snapped a couple of photos and left them so they could enjoy the game without the pressure of "the crowd".

No comments:

Post a Comment