Saturday, July 28, 2012

Saturday Night Spin



Distance 20  miles
Max speed 29 .8 mph
Ave Speed 15 MPH
Ride Time 1:19

Although I ride around town every day on the old commuter bike and Brandon rides to work every day, neither of us had been out on a good road ride since we finished the tour last week.  I sent a message that I was going for a quick ride at four o'clock.  Sue wanted me to pull up a shrub and since Brandon had to change a flat on his bike we got "both of those birds with one shot".

We ran into some guy on a nice Specialized road bike but with flat handlebars.  We spoke about riding and after a few minutes I said I have to catch the kid and kicked into high gear.   Brandon was waiting at the top of a small hill and I told him about the guy.  
"He is right behind you"  said Brandon.
I suggested we hammer up the next incline and cut loose on the downhill which we did reaching 30MPH. 
"That should do it for him" I said. 
"Nope, he's about 100 feet back".
He caught up to us just before his turn off and he wished us a good ride.   I gotta say that he surprised me on his hybrid/road bike.   

We decided to ride hard on this short spin and I caught Brandon's back wheel and he went into overdrive. He was pulling me along at around 25-26 MPH which was pretty easy for me with him blocking all the wind.  He got a little antsy and stood up into hyper drive.  He pulled away for a second and that we enough to drop me.  He hit 29 MPH while I slowed considerably to grab some water. 

Tomorrow is the big ride day and we will probably do the 25 miles to the Cape Cod Canal, have lunch and return.  It may be a hammer fest or it may not.  Probably not on my or Deke's  part.  Brandon can't help himself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment