Saturday, March 7, 2009

Bikes and Books

Got the bike ready, put the riding clothes out on the bed in the spare room.   Work clothes were folded and ready to put into the backpack.  I set the alarm for 5:30 and was ready to do the first bike commute in months.  At twent past five, the dogs wanted to go out.  When they returned, I shut off the alarm and went back to bed.



It's the third time this has happened in the past few weeks.  I am working the weekend and am determined to get up early and ride the 10 miles to work on Sunday. With the temps forcast for the high 50's, the ride promises to be a nice one.  Changing the clocks will make it a little more difficult, but I know once I start dressing, everything else will fall into place mentally.
 



I usually have a book at work and one at home to read.   However, I am into one that follows me everywhere. 

The Historian ".  A very different novel about Vlad the Impaler, better know as Dracula. It's a very different take from that of Bram Stoker. If you are one who enjoys reading,  put this one on your short list.   

I'm starting to get the riding fever since I got my confirmation for the bike tour this July.  A couple of friends have been discussing day rides and maybe even an overnighter.  We call them S24O.   Sub 24 hr. overnights.   That's when we ride out on a Friday evening after work, set up  and camp out.   Rise early in the morning and ride back home. They are usually twent to thirty mile rides.   We pick  some good food and there is also a package store with a good sized wine selection close to the campground in Plymouth  Ma.    The Cape Cod Canal and Cape Cod Canal Rail Trail are two other great riding places for both day and S24Os.

3 comments:

  1. I am so bad for hitting the snooze button. It's a good thing that my alternative to cycling - the el train - takes just as long as riding my bike, else I would end up taking an easier and quicker mode to work under the excuse of "I'm in a rush."

    I want to take an S24O, sounds fun! I can't imagine any place close enough to the city, but I guess I could take the suburban train with my bike and then cycle from there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even with over a foot of the white stuff still on th eground, I too am feeling th eurge to pedal. Soon I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to have the Cape to ride and camp on! I like the sound of those Sub24 rides, great idea!

    ReplyDelete