Friday, August 24, 2007

The Things People Say

I was called a bike fanatic this morning. I'm starting to think I talk about it too much at work. When I tell people I ride 20 miles a day I notice that they begin to scan me to see what kind of shape I'm in. "Wow, that's a lot", is the usual comment.
I'm guessing they are thinking, {{{should'nt he be in better shape, and younger?}}}

Yesterday one of the women at work was shaking her head when I told her my route. (through abandoned state hospital grounds) She though it was too dangerous to be on a bike, because there may be some homeless people there.

She then asked the person I was with if he saw the roll over on the highway. Now I have a decision to make. Do I want to ride my bike on abandoned roads, or roll my car over on a highway? I need to sleep on this one. By the way, I have been approached twice by security on the hospital grounds while riding through. The second time the young guard said, "oh your the guy who works in the industrial park right". Then he gave a good long look at my backpack.


Both times I have been stopped is when I had the backpack. I'm looking forward to the cold weather when I ride through with the backpack "and" a mask, holding a bottle of hair jell aloft.

3 comments:

  1. Bike Fanatic.

    From reading your blog over the past several months, it sounds like you don't mind following the beat of a different drummer.

    My wife says my bike is my "obsession".

    When we talk about our trip into the office, it often goes like:

    "I got stuck behind a 16-car pileup"

    "It took me 2 hours"

    "I had to get off at the exit to go to the bathroom it was taking so long"

    "I rode in with a neighbor I haven't seen since soccer season ended"

    It reminds me of Charlie Brown's Halloween except everyone else got a rock but me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. n everyone's time, at some time, our inner throw goes out. It is then burst into enthusiasm beside an face with another benign being. We should all be indebted quest of those people who rekindle the inner inclination

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be a noble benign being is to have a amiable of openness to the far-out, an cleverness to guardianship undeterminable things beyond your own manage, that can front you to be shattered in hugely extreme circumstances as which you were not to blame. That says something uncommonly outstanding thither the condition of the righteous compulsion: that it is based on a trust in the uncertain and on a willingness to be exposed; it's based on being more like a spy than like a treasure, something fairly feeble, but whose extremely special attractiveness is inseparable from that fragility.

    ReplyDelete